Why Mold Smells Bad and How To Deal With It

If you've ever walked into your office in Rogers and noticed a musty odor, it's likely caused by mold growing somewhere in the building. Mold spores are everywhere, so they can easily enter your building through open doors or windows, on shoes or clothing, or via vents that lead outside. Mold spores aren't a problem until they find a place where they can grow. Mold likes to grow in dark, damp places such as in air vents, basements, and poorly ventilated rooms where there is a lot of dust or porous materials. Here is why mold smells bad and what you can do about it.

Why Mold Smells

The green, black, white, or pink mold that you see doesn't smell. Beg to differ? Actually, as some mold types grow, they release something called mycotoxin into the air. This chemical is what smells. Unless the mold is in a very obvious place in the office, the musty odor may be your first hint of a mold problem.

How To Deal

Because it's hard to tell whether the smell is caused by a mycotoxin or another chemical compound, it's important to handle mold remediation as quickly as possible.

Call a Professional

A commercial mold remediation specialist will be able to properly identify the mold that is present in your building, whether it's in an obvious location or hidden behind walls. They can also help you to know the extent of the problem.

Try To Identify the Source

Once you've made the call to the professional, see if you can identify the source of the mold growth. If there’s an obvious leak, turn off the water to the area so that the problem doesn't continue to compound. Don't turn on fans at this point since that can spread spores.

Seal the Area Off

If you're concerned about mycotoxin exposure, seal off the area as best you can to protect your staff until a professional can assess the situation. Prompt mold remediation will help to prevent problems in the future.


...for a Healthier Home and Business!